France in brief
- Surface area: 632,834 sq km
- Capital: Paris
- Official language: French
- Currency: the Euro
- Religions: the majority are Catholic
Useful facts for your stay at L’Alpe d’Huez La Sarenne Club Med
Main public holidays and events in France
- in January: New Year’s Day (1 January)
- in April: Easter Monday
- in May: Labour Day (1 May) / Ascension Day / Whit Monday
- in July: Bastille Day (14 July)
- in August: Assumption of the Virgin Mary (15 August)
- in November: All Saints Day (1 November) / Armistice Day (11 November)
- in December: Christmas Day (25 December)
Culinary specialities of the Isère region
- Starters: a wide variety of cured meats and sausages such as murçon pork sausage
- Dishes: fondue, raclette, croutes (melted cheese and white wine on bread), crozets (small, square pasta), fish such as lavaret (freshwater fish in the salmon family), perch and mountain trout
- Cheese: Beaufort, Abondance, Tomme de Savoie, Tomme des Bauges, Emmental, goat’s cheese
- Desserts: Grenoble walnut cake, known also as dauphinois or grenoblois; ruifard apple pie from the Valbonnais region
Flora and fauna native to the Isère region
- Flora: flowers such as the edelweiss, gentiane, Alpine snowbell, lavender, arnica, turban lily, Alpine rose; Swiss pine, fir, spruce, larch, and beech trees
- Fauna: chamois, marmots, ibex, lynx, royal eagles
Shopping in the Isère region
- Craftwork: knives, wood, watches; other typical local industries are tanneries and spinning mills
Places of interest to discover in the area surrounding L’Alpe d’Huez La Sarenne Club Med
Make the most of your stay at L’Alpe d’Huez La Sarenne Club Med to discover the natural beauty and fascinating culture of the Isère region.
L’Alpe d’Huez ski resort is located in one of France’s largest ski domains, with 237 km of Alpine skiing runs and 50 km of runs for cross-country skiing.
From L’Alpe d’Huez La Sarenne Club Med there are shuttles enabling you to explore the area, where you can discover:
L’Alpe d’Huez, with its beautiful modern church, Notre Dame des Neiges. Visit the ice cave with its fabulous ice sculptures and an altiport built for the 10th Winter Olympics held in Grenoble in 1968. Every year in January, there is also an international festival of comic films.
Many typical villages, such as Auris-en-Oisans, Huez-en-Oisans, La Garde, Oz-en-Oisans, Vaujany and Villard Reculas
Grenoble, one of the major towns in the Rhône Alpes region, is 59 km away. It has many churches and religious buildings, parks, concert halls and is renowned for its gastronomy.