Turkey in brief
- Surface area: 783,562 sq km
- Capital: Ankara
- Official language: Turkish
- Currency: Turkish Lira
- Religions: Islam
Useful facts for your stay at Kemer Club Med
Main public holidays and events in Turkey
- in January: New Year (1 January)
- in April: Children’s Day (23 April)
- in May: Youth and Sports Day (19 May)
- in August: Victory Day (30 August)
- in October: Republic Day (29 October) / the Antalya Film Festival takes place every year in September or October
- in November, a minute’s silence at 9.05 am for the anniversary of the death of Kemal Ataturk
The calendar of Muslim religious festivals
Muslim festivals are calculated according to the Hegirian lunar calendar (Christian Easter is also calculated according to the moon). The dates vary from year to year.
- Ragaip Kandili (conception of the Prophet)
- Miraç Kandili (the Prophet’s last voyage)
- Berat Kandili (the Prophet’s revelation)
- Mevlid-I Nebi (birth of the Prophet)
- Ramadan, the 9th month of the Muslim calendar, period of fasting and abstinence from sunrise to sunset
- Seker Bayram, Sugar Festival, marks the end of Ramadan and lasts 3 days
- Kurban Bayram, Feast of the Sacrifice, the most important festival in the religious year, commemorates the sacrifice of Abraham, and takes place 70 days after Ramadan
Turkish culinary specialities
- Starters: borek (pastry filled with minced meat and cheese), cacik (cucumber, yoghourt and garlic salad), yayla corbasi (yoghourt soup with rice)
- Dishes: doner kebab (grilled meat cooked vertically and sliced), shish kebab (grilled meat and vegetables served on a skewer), kofte (meatballs)
- Desserts: Turkish delight, sweet pastries with honey, almonds and pistachios such as baklawa, sutlaç (rice pudding)
Flora and fauna native to Turkey
- Flora: forests of pine trees and conifers, the Köprülü Canyon National Park, a beautiful valley with many waterfalls.
- Fauna: Belek is a privileged site for the reproduction of the Caretta Caretta turtle, a species in danger of extinction. And the Bogazkent region is famous for various species of birds, some of which are migratory and pass via Belek on their journey
Shopping in Turkey
- Craftwork: jewelry, ceramics, hookahs, onyx, carpets….
- Local produce: a vast range of spices, nuts (walnuts, pistachios, hazelnuts) and olives.
A few useful expressions for your stay in Turkey
- Hello: Günaydin
- Goodbye: güle güle (if you’re staying, Allaha ismarladik (if you’re leaving)
- Thankyou: tesekur ederim
- Yes: evet
- No: hayir
- Please: lütfen
Places of interest to discover in the area surrounding Kemer Club Med
Make the most of your stay at Kemer Club Med to discover the natural beauty and fascinating culture of the region.
Kemer Club Med is located:
5 minutes from the charming and lively seaside resort of Kemer, with plenty of bars, restaurants and shops
12 km from Beldi, with its cave and prehistoric remains
50 km from Antalya, the tourist capital of the Turkish Mediterranean coast, known as the Turkish Riviera.